So It Begins…

The day finally arrived for Shawn to depart to NTC at Fort Irwin for 5 weeks. As is fitting with all things military, drop off time was 1 AM. So here we were scrambling at 12:15 to get to his office before said drop off time. Fortunately, we live close to the installation so it doesn’t take long to get there. Leading up to today, I have had mixed emotions about him leaving. After 2 deployments, 5 weeks isn’t that long but it is still hard to have him gone. Part of me was ready for him to leave so I wouldn’t have to deal with the late nights at the office anymore. Then I think about everything I have to take care of in his absence. I feel like I am running on autopilot right now. We said goodbye in the gym parking lot and I got in my car to drive home. We have said goodbye so many times now that I get numb when the time arrives for us say it again. The trip home was a blur. I made it home safely but I didn’t even notice what was going on around me. The car knows the path from Shawn’s office to the house so well that it drove itself. Now it is 1:30 and I can’t sleep. So I am nursing a glass of the remaining amaretto that was in the fridge. I am hoping that will dull the ache and put me to sleep. Tomorrow two of the other wives and I are heading out of town for some depression shopping after brunch. Should be fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2016 To Do List

2015 To Do List - Review

2015 Year in Review