Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2008

LiveStrong Challenge

A couple of months ago I stumbled across the website for the LiveStrong Challenge. I decided I wanted to participate for multiple reasons. First, I have felt a strong need to volunteer or do something to give back. The Lance Armstrong Foundation is doing a lot for cancer research. I don't believe there is anyone in this country who hasn't been effected by cancer in some way, shape or form. Just in the last year, I had a friend from college pass away from breast cancer at the age of 29. Also, Maverick and I are in serious need of some physical activity. I figure that having a goal to be able to walk (or run) a 5K by October 25th is a good place to start. I used to walk about 3 miles a day in college. I just got out of the habit and now I am having to build myself back up again. The heat doesn't help but I am trying to find times when the heat isn't so bad (either early morning or late evening). Mav and I are starting out by tackling laps around the block. Once around the block is about half a mile. So we are trying to start out with one trip around this week and work ourselves up from there. I plan on keeping everyone updated on our progress (building up to the 5k and hopefully losing some weight in the process) as well as my progress toward my fundraising goal for the foundation. If you would like to help out, you can click on the link to the right of my page or go to http://austin08.livestrong.org/bamagirljj. Oh and just so you know...we started our laps tonight and Maverick is currently racked out on the couch. I think I wore him out!

No comments: