What would you do?

Last week, the guys on the morning show that I listened to on the way to work posed the question, "What would you do if your boss came to and said we will continue to pay you your salary for the next 30 years but you don't have to come to work anymore?"  The answers from those on the show mostly focused on their hobbies and getting back into activities they haven't done in a while.  And the question got me thinking. What would I do?  Would I be able to stay home with my child and focus my energy on that?  Growing up, I was never a career driven person.  I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life.  I changed majors 4 times in college because nothing worked for me.  And even when I decided on a major, it wasn't because I enjoyed it.  It was because I was good at it.  For those who knew me well, my attending graduate school was shocking.  It just wasn't me but at the time I didn't know what else to do and I wanted to make sure I was in the best position to be able to take care of myself.  I am envious of my husband who has a job he loves.  I have always wanted to be able to say that but I have never loved a job that I have had.  I feel like I am stuck on a career path that I don't want to be on only because I didn't have a lot of choices in college and ended up with something that work.  So, yes, if given the opportunity to stay home, I would take it.  I would to be able to be there for my child the same way my mom was there for me when I was growing up.  But unfortunately, that won't happen for me.  So instead I have to be the best mom I can be in the few hours a day I will be able to spend with my baby.

Comments

Gina said…
Don't give up hope! I never thought I would be able to stay home with my kids. Heck, most months I look at our bank account and still wonder how I can. But here I am, going on 3 years as a stay-at-home mom! It can be done... keep the faith.
I feel the exact same way and have this conversation with my husband all the time. I wish I would have searched a tad bit harder to find the job I love rather than accepting just to have one. Such is life!

Popular posts from this blog

2016 To Do List

2015 To Do List - Review

2015 Year in Review