Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Things I Miss

One of the first things you learn when you become pregnant is all the things you can't have or can't do.  There is a list of foods to stay away from, a list of medications you can't take, a list of activities you shouldn't participate in.  Most of it is common sense.  Some of it is a bit overboard. And some things your body just simply refuses to tolerate.  I won't say that I have followed these do's and don't's to a T (for example, I cannot give up my Dr. Peppers completely) but there have been a few things that I have stayed away from.  So here are some of the things I have being missing over the last 5 months.

1. My waistline - I wasn't exactly skinny before I got pregnant but I wasn't fat either.  But it is going to be a long time before I have waistline that can be classified as anything other than round.

2. Fish - The week after I found out I was pregnant, we went out for catfish for my brother's birthday.  One bite and I was done.  I haven't been able to touch the stuff since.  Now I have always been a seafood lover.  Not anymore.  I can't stand it right now.  I can't even stand the smell of it.

3. Sushi - Given that fish is off the list, this one shouldn't be a surprise.  Sushi is also high on the list of no-no's because of the high mercury content in many types of fish and the fact that most of it is served raw.  Personally, I only eat the cooked stuff because the textures of the uncooked bothers me so much.  Sushi isn't even something we eat a lot but there have been times I have really wanted it.  However, I think the smell would bother me so much that I wouldn't even be able to enjoy the experience.

4. Alcohol - I love a glass of wine with dinner or a cocktail out with friends.  I know that having a glass occasionally would be OK.  The nurse at my doctor's office even said as much.  However, this is one thing that I have given up for now.  And I am hating it.  I just love how the perfect glass of wine can complement your food. That is going to be one of the first things I do after delivery: enjoy a nice drink.  I can almost taste it now.

5. Pants that fit - I won't say I love maternity pants but I don't totally hate them either.  It has been nice not having a waistband feel like it was cutting you in half but I do wish they would stay up better.  I am constantly having to pull my pants up.  And let's not even get into the length.  I realize the pants could be hemmed but I just haven't had time to bother with that.  It's so annoying.

6. Pretty shoes - I have an extensive shoe wardrobe.  It is one of my great weaknesses in life.  But the first 5 months has found me mostly in tennis shoes and flats because anything with a heel would bother my back.  Now the swell has started to kick in so flip flops it is.  Fortunately, I live in a place where flip flops are acceptable 365 days a year and, since I own 12 pairs, I can constantly change out my selection.

7. Sleep - I know I have said this here before but I will say it again.  I'm tired.  I want to sleep on my stomach.  I want to be truly comfortable so I can rest.  For about the first 4 months, I could still sleep on my stomach for a portion of the night.  Now my belly is so big that rolling over onto my tummy is not even remotely comfortable.  I think the best two nights of sleep I have had in the last 5 months were when the doctor told me I could take Benadryl for my sinus infection.  I was out like a light and slept like a baby.  It's tempting to try that again except that it's so hard to wake up the next morning.

8. My Sonicare - Yes, I am talking about one of those fancy electric toothbrushes.  I won it at my office's health and wellness fair and I love it!  Well, that is until I got pregnant.  My gag reflex has been so sensitive, I could barely stand to use it.  So back to a manual toothbrush for me.  And my teeth just don't feel as clean.  I know that is something that should go away pretty quickly after delivery and I can't wait.

1 comment:

CraftyHope said...

I hate that you're missing out on so much, but I guess that comes with the territory.
I'm not sure the shoe thing would bother me, all I wear is flats and flops anyway. ;)