State of Confusion

My house is in utter chaos right now.  I have been saying since May that we needed to start clearing out the office to make way for Jackson.  Thanks to conflicting schedules and constant activity, we haven't gotten around to that until now.  So here we are 9 days away from my due date boxing stuff up for storage and rearranging furniture to make room for a crib, dresser, and glider.  Part of this move means relocating Maverick's "home" to other portions of the house.

Up to this point, Maverick had a corner of the office where his bed and bowls were located.  A space to call his own.  While we are away from the house, he would hang out in there behind a baby gate and nap all day.  Since the office is now going to be the nursery, we couldn't leave him in there.  A few nights ago we moved his bed into our room at night so he could sleep in there with us.  This transition was fairly easy since he was already used to sleeping in the room with me.  However, I am trying to break him of the habit of sleeping in the bed with me especially since Chris is home at night now and there just isn't room for the 3 of us in the bed.

The bigger problem is the relocation of his space.  The best solution we could come up with for his quarters was to move his bowl and such to the kitchen and leave him in there while we are away from home.  It isn't the ideal solution but it's the only one we have at this point.  Maverick isn't crazy about being left to roam freely during the day.  The few times I have tried it, it upsets him when he leave and I come home to accidents.  It's just not fun for any of us and it breaks my heart to hear him cry when I leave him out like that.  So we just don't do it.  Maverick is more comfortable and I have less of a mess to clean up when I come home.

The problem is my poor dog is confused.  This morning I let him in to feed him and he ran straight to the office like normal.  But his bowl wasn't there and he didn't know why.  I had to actually take him into the kitchen and show him where his food was.  The same location it was in last night when we fed him but still not the norm.  This confusion is leading him to be a crazy dog.  He is getting into everything right now.  I know he knows something is going on but he hasn't figured out what yet and that is causing him to act out.  I actually don't worry about him adjusting to the baby that much.  He did pretty well when Chris and Kiddo moved in but I do think changing his routine is throwing him for a loop.  He's snoring away next to me on the couch right now.  I know all I can do is love him and reassure him and he will get the hang of it soon enough.  Until then, I get to suffer with crazy pup.  I still wish we could have done this earlier so the adjustment would have been easier but that just didn't happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2016 To Do List

2015 To Do List - Review

2015 Year in Review