What About Me?

I had an epiphany last week while talking to Chris about all of the upcoming events for our various family members. Sean had his first tae kwon do belt testing on Saturday. Chris tests for his black belt this weekend. Jackson and I are at Little Gym every weekend while Chris and Sean are at tae kwon do three times a week. It was during this conversation that I realized there was nothing I do just for me. I don't have an activity and that bothers me. I danced a lot growing up. I was in youth choir and band. But now I don't have time. Not for me. I have time to make sure the kids get where they need to go but not to set aside for myself. I realize that is part of being a mother. It is their turn now. I had my chance to be active and involved. But it makes me sad. I miss dancing. I miss having something I do that gives me an outlet away from work. I need that but I really have no idea how to make it work in our already crazy schedule. Maybe one day that will change but for now all I can ask is what about me?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know I don't have kids, but perhaps there is something you're not thinking of. Maybe it's not a full blown activity commitment, but is there any way you can work it out so you leave the kids with Chris for even 1 hour a week so you can go drink coffee and read blogs? Do you have a mom friend who'd be willing to swap kid watching once a month?
Cathy W said…
Julie, you will be a better wife and mother if you do find something for you!! My mother has made sure I know this, and while it is hard, I know she's right. Right now, for me, with two small kiddos, it is not easy. I go to a book discussion group once a month for about an hour. It makes such a crazy difference! It isn't easy to make sure the girls are taken care of and that dinner still gets on the table while I'm gone, but the extra effort is worth it! Maybe you bring a book and a travel mug of coffee and sit in the car for 1/2 hour while the boys are at an activity. Sounds silly, but you pick the coffee, the book, and the music. And you're by yourself! Good luck - chin up! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

2016 To Do List

2015 To Do List - Review

2015 Year in Review