Day 2

OK...so I am cheating a bit today. I am relying on a blog prompt on day two mostly because I don't have the time to try to be creative today. I mentioned in yesterday's post that time constraints are going to be the biggest limiting to factor for me completing an entire month of blogging. Well, Tuesday is my busiest day both at work and at home. I have several deadlines for customer requirements that are due on Tuesdays and our small group from church meets Tuesday nights. I don't even get to go home first before small group. I just head straight there and pick up food on the way. Needless to say, I spend most of Tuesday run around like a chicken with my head cut off. Today is of course no better than normal when you add in two additional meetings and handing out packets to the Race for the Cure participants. So I am going to use a prompt I stole from the NaBloPoMo page that is actually one I could write about for hours.

What is the first play you ever saw live?
Well, that is a surprisingly tough question for me to answer. I don't remember which play/musical I saw first live. I am sure I was taken to one on a school field trip but I can't tell you what it was. I remember going to the ballet as a child. I started dancing when I was 5 so being around the stage and productions were nothing out of the ordinary for me. What I can tell you about was seeing my first show on Broadway. I was 17 and a senior in high school. I was in New York because I was going to be in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and they took us to see Phantom of the Opera. By the time, I saw the show I had nearly worn out my cassette tape of the Phantom highlights. I knew the songs and had visualized the show in my head a million times. But sitting in the Majestic Theatre watching the story unfold before my eyes was better than I could have ever imagined. It was at that point that I knew theatre would always be a part of my life. I really wanted to be on stage but I doubted my talents and was afraid I was too old to receive the training I needed to become a star. Instead, I took roles where I could find them even if it meant being the nameless dancer in the back corner just so I could get the thrill of performing for an audience. It has been years since I have been on stage and I miss it daily. I would love the opportunity to be a part of a show again if my schedule would allow it. However, I have yet to find a place in Austin where I can plug in my talents. Since that first visit to Broadway, I have been back several times and I have season tickets to Broadway series in Austin. I have seen more than 20 shows and I know the words to hundreds of Broadway show tunes (not that I would let anyone hear me sing them). Theatre is one of the great loves of my life. Some might say I have grease paint in my veins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2016 To Do List

2015 To Do List - Review

2015 Year in Review